Welcome to ‘Times Table Rock Stars’. Here at Eastburn, our pupils have access to a fantastic online way to develop knowledge of times tables and division facts for all pupils from Y1-Y6. Times tables are recognised as essential to access many mathematical concepts and knowledge will be assessed at the end of Y4, from September 2018, by a National test.
When it comes to times tables, speed AND accuracy are important – the more facts your child remembers, the easier it is for them to do harder calculations. Times Table Rock Stars is a fun and challenging programme designed to help pupils master the times tables!
When they log in, the children play games that challenge them to answer as many questions as possible in one minute. As children’s confidence with their times tables improves, they will see their progress in the number of questions they are able to answer in that minute. Children who know their times tables are challenged to improve the speed of their recall even further.
There are five game types:
- Garage – a single player game in which children will only be asked questions (multiplication and division) from the times tables that their teacher has set for them to practise.
- Studio – a single player game in which children will be asked questions on multiplication and division facts up to 12 x 12. This sets their overall ‘Rock Speed’.
- Soundcheck – a single player game in which children have five seconds to answer each of 20 questions. These questions are any multiplication fact up to 12 x 12 (no division). This is designed to prepare children for the Year 4 Times Tables Check that the Government intend to introduce in 2020.
- Arena – a multi-player game in which children play against other children from their class or year group. They will only be asked questions (multiplication and division) from the times tables that their teacher has set for them to practise.
- Festival – a multi-player game in which children play against other children across the country. They will be asked questions on multiplication and division facts up to 12 x 12.
The children now have their log in details and can access Times Tables Rockstars through a web browser on any desktop/laptop PC, tablet or smart-phone (Flash is not needed so will work on Apple devices) or by downloading the free Times Tables Rockstars app to any Android or Apple device through the Andriod Play Store or Apple’s App Store.
It is recommended that children play daily. Just three games every day will have a great impact over time (but more than three is even better!). We will be celebrating the children’s achievements in school, so please encourage your child to play as much as possible.